It can be extremely temping to conquer a rodent infestation on your own. However, tackling a rodent problem can be more challenging than you think. That’s why hiring a hiring a professional rodent removal company is recommended to take care of rodent pests.
There are three reasons on why it’s crucial to hire a professional to take care of a rodent infestation. Let’s take a look.
- Protection from hazardous chemicals: the chemicals used to remove rodents, even those available in stores, are extremely hazardous to the health of the people you live with, as well as any pets you may have. Lack of knowledge and improper handling of these chemicals can cause a disaster, even death.
- Proper identification of pests is essential: the obvious signs of a rodent infestation are difficult to miss; however, if you don’t have the knowledge and experienced it’s easy to go from bad to worse. For instance, you may choose the wrong solution to solve the infestation. What happens then? The rodents are left free to keep multiplying, damaging your home, and spreading disease.
- DIY treatments can be expensive: another problem is that DIY solutions to rodent infestations can be expensive. On the surface, it may seem cheaper to use over the counter rodent poisons, traps, and more. However, if the rodent problem isn’t solved the first time around, you’ll need to repeat the process. This will involve more cost and your budget will be blow in the in process.
As you can see, pest control isn’t a matter to take into your own hands. It can be dangerous, more expensive, and may require repeat efforts if not successful.
Benefits of Hiring a Professional Rodent Removal Company
Now, here are a few benefits of hiring a professional rodent removal company.
- Professionals have the knowledge & experience: whether it’s dealing with the chemicals or other removal methods, or knowing where to place bait, professionals have the knowledge and experience to get the job done right. You won’t have to worry about repeat applications of harmful chemicals. And you’ll know the professionals know how to properly apply the chemicals to keep you, your family and pets safe.
- Infestations may be larger: sometimes it’s difficult figure out how many rodents you may really have. While you will see the odd individual rodent running across the floor at night, you may have quite a clan breeding and living in your home. Rodent control professionals know the signs of a large infestation. They also have the right equipment, and experience to rid your home of these pests.
- Find & seal all points of entry: mice and rats can gain entry to your home through the smallest openings. Rodent removal professionals know exactly where to look for these points of entry and how to seal them up. Sealing all the tiny cracks and crevices will keep rodents from gaining re-entry to your home.
- Professional protective gear: along with using hazardous chemicals correctly, it’s necessary to wear the proper protective gear, too. Masks, gloves, and respirators can all protect against the harsh chemicals, as well as the harmful bacteria and viruses left behind by rodents.
Why Do Rodents Enter a Home?
Rodents enter a home for many reasons, but usually they’re more apt to be looking for a warm place to spend the colder winter months. They need a place to build a nest, stay warm, as well as being near a food supply during this time of the year.
It’s sometimes hard to tell whether or not you have mice or rats, but there are some signs to look for. You can watch out for:
Droppings: you’ll find these can look like dark, oval seeds. Droppings that are new will be a dark colour and moist, and older ones will be a light grey colour and dry. You’ll most often find droppings near a food source such as inside cabinets, the pantry, under the sink and other areas that are somewhat hidden. Droppings may also be found near where the rodents have built their nests.
Chewed up insulation & more: this is another sign that you may have a rodent infestation. You may come across odd bits of chewed up insulation, stuffing from furniture, and more. Rodents use these materials to create warm nests for the cold months.
Scurrying sounds in the walls: you may also notice scurrying and scratching sounds in the walls and in the ceiling. These can be creepy sounds, but they’re an indication that rodents are busy. You’ll most likely hear these sounds in the evening, at night, and in the early morning. These are the times when rodents are the most active.
Why Should Rodents Be Removed?
Rodents can be cute—we understand. But wild mice and rats can be very harmful to you and your property. Coming into contact with rodent urine or feces is enough to make someone sick. But even when they walk across a surface, they can leave these nasties behind.
Some of the most common diseases carried by rodents include:
- Leptospirosis: a bacterial infection spread by rodents around the world. You can catch this by eating food or drinking water that’s contaminated with urine from infected rodents. It can also be caught by touching the skin or mucus membranes with water/soil that’s been contaminated.
- Lymphocytic choriomeningitis (LCM): is carried by the common house mouse. This is a virus that can severe neurological issues.
- Rat bite fever (RBF): another bacterial infection carried by rats and mice.
- Salmonella: is a foodborne illness that can be caught from rats and mice if they contaminate water and food.
- Tularemia (Rabbit Fever): is carried by wild rodents and can result in a long-term illness that can be difficult to treat.
Another reason to call in a professional rodent removal company is that rodent can cause untold damage to your home. Rodents can:
- Gnaw and scratch on anything in your home—from furniture, books, clothing, carpet, and more. If you value your things, then getting rid of rodents is essential.
- Contaminate food, water and surfaces with urine and feces. They can also contaminate bedding, towels, and more in all parts of the home.
- Enter the kitchen and search for food; in this endeavor, rodents will do everything and anything to get at food including chewing through boxes, plastic containers, and bags.
- Rodents can do the same thing with pet food and pet bowels. They may also chew through pet bedding to use as nesting material.
- Chew through electrical cords, which can quickly become a fire hazard.
- Eat through insulation in walls and attics and use the material for creating nests.
- Make nests anywhere in the home, which includes between walls, in the attic, in air ducts, and more. This helps to spread the odour from rodent droppings and urine, which is quite unpleasant.
While rodents can be cute, they’re dangerous and harmful to your health and property. This is another reason why it’s a good idea to call a professional rodent removal company to tackle the problem.